Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Artists (for now!)

Considering that my favorites songs and favorite artists/bands change pretty much twice a week, I have a feeling I'll be doing this countdown again in a couple of weeks. But here you have it! Here's my top 10 favorite artists/bands.

John, Paul, George, and Ringo
10. The Beatles 

          You just can't go wrong with the classics. The Beatles will always be in my top ten, although they may change position on the list. They're currently number 10 because their music is generally happy and recently I've been in a rather melancholy mood. My favorites songs include: "She Loves You," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Eight Days A Week," "Ticket to Ride," "Eleanor Rigby," "Yellow Submarine," "Yesterday," and "Here, There, Everywhere." In my iTunes library, I have songs from 7 albums, three of which are complete. The albums are (in alphabetical order): 1, A Hard Day's Night, Abbey Road, Please Please Me, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Once again, The Beatles will always be among my favorites. The boys will always live on. 

9. Newsboys - 
 
        Lots of memories with these guys. I remember jamming out to their "Steppin' Up To the Microphone" album in the late 90s/early 2000s, when I was little. While Peter Furler and Phil Joel are no longer in the band, I do enjoy a few of their new songs. But Peter Furler was always awesome. He wore eyeliner that rivaled Captain Jack Sparrow. A lot of their songs had a great techno/punk rock feel to them, which is pretty much my favorite genre. My favorite songs include: "Hallelujah," "Entertaining Angels," "WooHoo," "Reality," "Born Again," and "Love Liberty Disco." Apparently Peter Furler has his own album coming out. I'm really excited to hear it.

Soul Glow Activatur, Crouton, Fatty,
Nadaddy, and Chap Stique
8. Family Force 5 - 

        Not gonna lie. FF5 is one of the weirdest bands ever. They are known for their crazy haircuts and wearing girls' pink skinny jeans. But they have some awesome music. I think I first listened to them my freshman year in high school. First song I heard was "Love Addict," which is still one of my favorites songs. They were playing the music video at my youth group.... Imagine my shock/disturbance when I look up at one of the big screens, and this giant pair of fire engine red, sparkly lips (LIPS ONLY) are singing/screaming: "HOLD UP, WAIT A MINUTE, PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN IT!" Yeah, I was a little disturbed. But Family Force 5 quickly became one of my favorite bands. Their music brings back a lot of memories. I currently own 2 of their albums: "Business Up Front/Party In the Back" and "Dance or Die." My favorite songs are: "Love Addict," "Lose Urself," "Radiator," "Get Your Back Off the Wall," and "Replace Me." I highly recommend FF5 to anyone that loves techno, hard rock, crunk, or any combination of the 3. 

The artist known as Katy Perry, previously
known as Katy Hudson.
7. Katy Perry - 

       Originally, I wasn't that big of a fan of Katy. The first song I heard by her was "I Kissed A Girl" (classic, huh?). Anyway, I really like her more recent stuff. Her music videos can be a little weird just like Lady Gaga (have you seen the one for "California Girls"? Lesson: Just say no to cupcake bikini tops). Sometimes the colored wigs get a little obnoxious as well, but I do like the purple one as shown on the right. While I don't own any albums by Katy, I have purchased several songs. My all time favorite song by Katy, as well as one of my all time favorites songs period, has got to be "E.T." If you haven't heard it, go to YouTube and listen to it. But don't watch the music video. It has stupid little rap interludes with Kanye "Imma let you finish" West. It's an absolutely awesome song and I listen to it pretty much every day. I suggest you do the same. 

David Cook
6. David Cook - 

       So..... I haven't watched "American Idol" in years. However, I was watching "The Soup," and Joel was telling about the finale with the two Davids. And as soon as David said "Chicks, man..." ("Let's talk about chicks, man!" "Chicks, man...") I was in love. I listened to a few of his songs from his self-titled album on YouTube, then went to Walmart to buy it as soon as it was possible. "David Cook" is the only album he's released as far as I know. You'd think that we would've heard about another album considering he won "American Idol." Anyway, I really enjoy David's sound. My favorite songs by him are: "Eleanor Rigby" (cover of The Beatles), "Time of My Life," "Heroes," and "Come Back to Me."

Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland,
Guy Berryman, and Will Champion
5. Coldplay - 

     Oh my gosh I love the British. They're so awesome. They've given us Hugh Laurie, "Doctor Who," fun words like "gob smacked," and Coldplay. I think the first song I heard by them was either "Fix You" or "Clocks." But it was ages ago so I can't particularly remember. Anyway, whenever I'm feeling melancholy I listen to Coldplay. They're music is very melancholy, yet I find it to be very inspirational and uplifting at times. I own all four of their albums: "Parachutes," "A Rush of Blood to the Head," "X&Y," and "Viva La Vida/Death and All His Friends." I read something about another album being released sometime this year, and I am UBER excited to say the least. Coldplay is amazing. My favorite songs are: "Viva La Vida," "A Message," "Clocks," "Yellow," and "Talk."

John Rzeznik, Robby Takac, and
Mike
4. The Goo Goo Dolls - 

       I didn't realize Goo Goo Dolls had been around for so long until this past spring when I was listening to "Black Balloon" and my colleague said "Aren't you a little young to be listening to Goo Goo Dolls?" Haha. Anna's hysterical. Anyway, while I only own two albums by them, I absolutely love Goo Goo Dolls. They can be melancholy but also inspiring like Coldplay. "Black Balloon," also one of my favorite songs, can easily make me cry. My other favorite songs are: "Let Love In," "I'm Still Here," "Iris," and "Name." 

Lady Gaga
3. Lady Gaga - 

       Yeah, I'm probably gonna get a lot of crap about this one, but I can't help it. I love Gaga. Yeah, she's weird. I'm not gonna fight you on that one. But her lyrics are very powerful if you take the time to listen. She is one of the few female artists today that have an actual voice underneath the auto-tune and all that electronic junk. Artists should use those technologies to either improve their voice or to change it to get a new sound, not to hide the fact that they have no voice. I only own "The Fame" on disc, but I own most of "The Fame Monster," and a few songs from "Born This Way." My favorite songs by Lady Gaga are: "Born This Way," "Poker Face," "Telephone,"   "Paper Gangsta," and "Dance In the Dark."

Jen Ledger, Ben Kasica,
John Cooper and Korey Cooper
2. Skillet -

       Skillet has been one of my favorite bands for a really long time. Their music has gotten me through thick and thin. They seem to have a song for any feeling that I'm experiencing. Their songs make me cry, they make me happy, they make me sing, they make me rock. They truly are one of the most inspirational bands I have ever listened to. I own their most recent albums, "Collide," "Comatose," and "Awake." I would, however, like to get some of their earlier albums such as "Alien Youth" and "Invincible." My favorite songs by them are: "Would It Matter," "Hero," "Falling Inside the Black," "Rest," "Monster," and "Whispers In the Dark." 

And my number 1 favorite artist (currently) is.... *drumroll*

Adam Lambert
1. Adam Lambert - 

      *sigh* I just love this boy. I know he's another one of those that people are gonna be like "Ew, he's gay," "He wears eyeliner," "He's so emo," yada, yada, yada. Personally, I like to judge musical artists by their musical talents as opposed to their sexual orientation or whether or not they wear eyeliner. Shoot, Elton John was gay, and he is one of the greatest song composers of all time. It makes no difference. Adam is a great singer, and I love his music. I cannot wait until he comes out with another album. My favorite songs by him are: "Sleepwalker," "No Boundaries," "Whataya Want From Me," "If I Had You," and "Aftermath."


So ladies and gents, who are your favorite musical artists? What are your favorite songs by them and why?

1 comment:

  1. I love you and this list so much. I actually just did a similiar list only it was with my top 25 favorites! Gotta love your pics :) And I completely feel the same way about Katy Perry! I listen to E.T. ALL the time! And I have a version without the gross rap! :)

    ReplyDelete